credit for life experience

Credit for demonstrated competency

CBS awards college credit to students for life experience and other certifications.
Students should present to their academic advisors any military, work, and ministry as well as any licenses or certifications and begin the process to verify whether these experiences can count for college credit. The college automatically recognizes a selection of business certifications and licenses or other life experiences, such as:

Business or Professional Certificates
(not a comprehensive list; academic advisors have full list of options)

• American Management Association Certificate of General Management

• State of Texas Licenses (e.g., cosmetology and barber, esthetician, and manicurist licenses)

• Texas Association of School Business Officials (TASBO)

• Contractor, Real Estate, and Insurance Licenses

• Peace Officer and Fireman Licenses

• Computer Certifications

• H&R Block Tax Preparation Training

• ACBC Training (formerly known as NANC), different credit hours for different tracks

Military Experience

• Official licenses through military trainings

• Coursework associated with objectives and outcomes

Ministry Experience
(students are recommended to take the 3-credit hour course GNED 2301 Credit for Demonstrated Competency to ensure you are able to maximize your life experience through full portfolio submission)

• Church Licenses

• Church Ordination Certificate

• Church and Ministry Certificate

Earn up to 30 hours of college credit toward a degree. To obtain a full review of ministry, work and life experience, students should sign up for GNED 2301 Credits for Demonstrated Competency (3 credits) class. In this class, a faculty member reviews prior learning assessment according to best practices and in consultation with the registrar, department chairs, and/or the Academic Dean in order to determine the appropriate number of credits for which the student may qualify. A transfer credit evaluation of a student’s portfolio will be completed upon successful completion of the class.
Students appealing a PLA decision should submit a completed General Petition Form (obtained electronically upon inquiry from a student’s Academic Advisor) for review by the Registrar. Students may be asked to obtain more information for decision under appeal.